View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 08:37 AM #21
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
They had called the police and they refused to come out.

Kick everyone out and lose yet more business? obviously what probably should have sadly happened but I still can't help but feel sorry for the staff and owner now facing abuse for protecting their livelihoods.
Like I said I understand to an extent why they've been frustrated, especially with lockdown etc., and I'm not expecting that everyone will always make exactly the right decision in the heat of the moment but when it comes down to what should have been done, it's really the only answer, both morally and financially if you look at it with a level head.

Closing the doors for an hour when they've probably not long reopened is going to sting... but if a staff member who isn't trained/certified security staff (you actually need a license) injures someone in the process of removing them, then that person is going to have a claim (in the region of thousands) against the business and they will win it... it's just a given. No matter what the extenuating circumstances are, if a member of staff who isn't security-certified attempts to remove someone using physical force then the civil judgement is going to place them in the wrong, and force the business to pay up. That could range from "much worse than closing for an hour" (if they have liability insurance or are part of a chain) right up to "no longer able to trade" (if uninsured/a small business).

TBH it's a general rule of thumb for dealing with someone in this state that if you ignore them and refuse to engage, they will move on.

The police have definitely dropped the ball here though. I have to say that on the (sadly, multiple) times I had to call the police they did always come out. Sometimes took them 30 - 45 mins but they'd show up eventually.

We had the direct number for the local station though so we didn't have to arse around with phone operators etc... the joys of the specific trade I suppose; people behaving like the person in this video wasn't novel or strange at all. A multiple-times-a-week sort of thing. Sometimes multiple times a day .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote