View Single Post
Old 16-06-2021, 08:22 AM #27
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Actually TS, I meant to ask you about your ubi pass. Do you get DLC with it or is it just base games? Reason I'm asking is Ubi have announced loads of their future releases will be free, so they can hammer microtransactions, so wondered if you knew how that would affect your deal.

And I know you have it on PC, but I presume the same thing is for XBox?
Not 100% if it's on Xbox; I know PS5 doesn't have it . Everything on Ubi+ is the "ultimate editions", so include DLC and any "bonus item" type stuff that you get on purchase like pre-order bonuses and things like that. They do still already have tonnes of stuff behind microtransactions though, mostly cosmetics like costumes/weapons/mounts. Fenyx Rising for example has TONNES of purchasable costumes, but they're purely visual changes. So I'd say that's basically how it is right now. Actual content is all included, things that are purely aesthetic are not. Also what I'd consider "cheat items" are not included, e.g. the Assassin's Creed "map upgrades" that show all optional stuff on the map etc.

I have to say it's a concerning trend though. I don't mind microtransations IF they're kept purely to bells & whistles like a nice new hat for your character, a slightly faster horse, or whatever... but honestly when games go down this route there's always the risk of two things happening. 1) the storyline goes out the window and the games become about grinding... and 2) They end up making the game unreasonably difficult or unplayable without microtransactions. Valhalla for example lets you purchase resources for crafting/upgrading so that you don't have to spend ages collecting them yourself. Game companies can very quickly fall into the trap of making it take FOREVER to gather enough resources for an upgrade you want, leaving you tempted to drop the £3 on a "resource pack"...

EA went down this route hard and it did NOT end well for them in Western markets. Free-to-play model is more popular in Asian markets.

So again hoping they don't wreck their "main" franchises with this.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote