View Single Post
Old 27-06-2021, 02:32 PM #30
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Muscle burns fat, yes. If you want to lose weight quickly, safely and steadily then then the ‘epoc’ Effect, which as you mention is the continuation of burning calories post workout then you want to do HITT training. High intensity interval training.

High intensity cardio will burn mor3 calories than weight training and you will raise your heart rate quicker. Combine it with weight training. Just doing general jogging will not raise your heart rate enough in comparison. The epoc effect is so much less greater....however, any moving is good.

Good advice though.
Yes I sprinkle this wisdom here occasionally - tha basic formula is calories in < calories out = weight loss but I think often people overlook the importance of "resting" calories out vs "active burning" calories out. As a percentage of actual daily intake, the calories burnt in a workout session are relatively small. Up your muscle mass enough and you can burn 2000+ calories a day doing literally nothing but breathing. Obviously you still have to exercise because if you don't, muscle starts falling off really quickly, but the "primary" goal of the workout is muscle building, not burning calories.

In terms of cardio IMO the main benefit of cardio fitness is just "not feeling like **** all the time".

My fitness basically comes and goes in cycles based on what's going on in life and the difference between being able to bound up the stairs like a lamb, and plodding up them with a huff, is the "important part".

I don't actually keep an eye on weight personally, just how I feel, how my clothes fit, and obvious body composition. But then I'm a 6'2 male in my mid 30's so "weight" isn't really the main measure of fitness. I guess maybe I'd feel different if I started heading towards My 600lb Life or something.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote