View Single Post
Old 27-06-2021, 02:43 PM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Yes I sprinkle this wisdom here occasionally - tha basic formula is calories in < calories out = weight loss but I think often people overlook the importance of "resting" calories out vs "active burning" calories out. As a percentage of actual daily intake, the calories burnt in a workout session are relatively small. Up your muscle mass enough and you can burn 2000+ calories a day doing literally nothing but breathing. Obviously you still have to exercise because if you don't, muscle starts falling off really quickly, but the "primary" goal of the workout is muscle building, not burning calories.

In terms of cardio IMO the main benefit of cardio fitness is just "not feeling like **** all the time".

My fitness basically comes and goes in cycles based on what's going on in life and the difference between being able to bound up the stairs like a lamb, and plodding up them with a huff, is the "important part".

I don't actually keep an eye on weight personally, just how I feel, how my clothes fit, and obvious body composition. But then I'm a 6'2 male in my mid 30's so "weight" isn't really the main measure of fitness. I guess maybe I'd feel different if I started heading towards My 600lb Life or something.
Yes, lots of sense in your post.

I think you're either more geared towards cardio or weight training.

For me, I prefer cardio or HITT training because of the 'feel' it gives me. I don't feel like I've done a good workout unless I'm drenched in sweat. Something weight training alone doesn't do. It doesn't raise your heart rate enough.

1000% on the latter. Avoid the scales at most costs unless you're morbidly obese. It's such a fail.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote