View Single Post
Old 14-07-2021, 08:50 PM #26
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
There's no such thing as an objectively good film. There's subjectively good films based on the viewer.

Objectively as in not influenced by thought or feeling.

Who decides a film is objectively good? no one so it is subjectively good if that is your opinion.
"Good" I suppose is the wrong word as it is purely subjective. I would argue that there is such a thing as an objectively well made film when you break down different aspects. Good staging, well edited, good pacing, sound design, etc.

You can for example tell also if a film is not well made - but some poorly/cheaply made films are actually very enjoyable and fun, or even just have an interesting or original concept behind them that makes them a gripping watch, and that could make it a "good film", but not necessarily a "well made film". That's the difference I'm trying to get at, I suppose.

On the other hand you can have an immaculately put together film that just doesn't grab you - i.e. a well made film that not everyone will enjoy.

"The Shining" is a good example for me. I can appreciate that it is an exceptionally well made movie, but I personally have never rated it at all.

Or on the flipside; I think Zack Snyder movies are objectively exceptionally well made movies and I personally enjoy the style of his movies, HOWEVER I can totally understand why some people don't like them at all.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote