View Single Post
Old 20-07-2021, 08:38 AM #5013
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
See here’s an example of what was talked about in another thread; Midsommar is an exceptionally well made film. The direction and staging is flawless… really gorgeous film, from an aesthetics standpoint.

However, not everyone will enjoy the plot and the characters are indeed… not very likeable… though I don’t think they’re supposed to be.

It was a solid 8/10 for me but my wife didn’t rate it at all.
…yeah, that’s why I said for Niamh to watch it herself, rather than pay heed to my rating because my rating came from a completely personal perspective…it was a visually beautiful film, I know…I mean, just the big yellow barn itself and all its ritual drawings and symbols inside…just stunning……and I did appreciate the ironies of the storyline as well ….especially…

Spoiler:

…as Christian felt ‘drained’ and jolly well put out by the emotional support a partner would hope for from him and that Dani hoped from him…he just wanted the fun times and the romantic/sex times and isn’t that really the ‘perfect’ relationship that he wanted and his friends supported him to have…such ladz….well he definitely got exactly what he wanted in that barn, there was no emotional stuff for him to put up with for sure….oh irony indeed…but though…

…ritualistic killings are so devoid of everything, of any emotion…and when the emotion is taken away then the human aspect is taken away as well..(…for me..)…there is nothing to distract me and divert me…for instance with a serial killer plot, there are usually so many psychological aspects of the ‘mind of a killer’…?…again for me there have to be those because I guess that’s how I divert my attention as well from quite torturous and messed up killings…?…so without that it does become just messed up and torturous killings …even though I guess the balance attempted is by us not connecting with any of those people or the cult people, we’re always watching ‘from a distance, as horrified onlookers’…we never really attach is maybe the key but I just can’t do that, its not a movie for me…I actually really liked the beginning of it……but from the moment that the older couple jumped off the cliff and just about broke every bone in their body and then had their faces smashed in as an add on…?…I kind of felt that I might struggle a bit ….and I know that it might not make sense but maybe if I’d had the distraction of having characters or any one character that I felt connected to in trying to understand and in rooting for, I may have felt differently…but no….

..it was seriously just messed up in a pretty scenic surrounding….and those ever smiling cult people are really quite comparable to monsters who wear masks, which is a no, no for me as well because it masks all emotion and human quality…

Last edited by Ammi; 20-07-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote