View Single Post
Old 27-07-2021, 07:27 PM #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
But the salary is based on the band... you can't increase the salary of a band 5 front-line nurse without increasing the salary of a band 5 physio. You'd have to separate it into completely new salary scales. I'm not saying that's a bad idea entirely, I don't think the banding system works brilliantly a lot of the time e.g. if Nurses campaign for better Nurse pay... they are in fact asking for changes to the pay bands and so better pay across the entire NHS... many more staff, and thus a much bigger battle... I'm just saying it's not simple at all. Easy enough to selectively give one-off bonuses but to do "selective" permanent pay increases you'd need to do away with the current pay band system, and even if it would be a good idea, it certainly wouldn't be easy or simple.
I worked with the NHS providing admin, clerical and secretarial staff when they went through Agenda for Change bringing in the current bandings and spine points. It was a nightmare....the amount of changes, errors etc they made to try and structure all the grades was amazing and it took ages to implement properly throughout the Trusts. Lots of jobs were downgraded from their previous bandings. It would cause merry hell if they changed it again.

Although, I do like Cherie's plan of paying bonuses to the staff that actual were front facing with patients