BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It's actually really common to go that route in the US, it's much easier to secure a win in a civil court than to even get a prosecutor to proceed with a case in criminal courts. Basically if the prosecution doesn't think they can build a case that has a reasonable chance of succeeding, they won't take it to court at all because of the cost. But in civil courts you basically have to cover your own costs, or the costs are built into the settlement ("no win no fee") and out of court settlements are thus very, very common... because they're cheaper for the accused (the money going to the accuser might even end up being the same, but the legal costs are MUCH lower).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
…hmmmmmm…(…I think, Oliver…)…because a civil suit can go through its process without his physical presence there…?…that the criminal one can’t unless he can be questioned first by the FBI/US authorities and that’s something that has apparently been requested of him several times through legal teams with a refusal…isn’t his ‘story’ though that he was never asked and of course he will oblige if he ever is asked……I’m not sure that a criminal case could be pursued without him first being given the opportunity to respond to questioning…/whatever you say can be used in evidence against you etc etc /rights…it’s a different process for a civil/personal case…
I see, I see ...

It sucks that this is probably the closest he'll get to facing justice...

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote