View Single Post
Old 20-08-2021, 01:49 PM #112
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
There are probably all kinds of crazy NDAs and other binding contracts tbh.

I'm more of a reader than watcher, and a DC comics writer who'd previously worked for Marvel once said even for the small amount of work he did for them, there were all sorts of gagging orders he had to sign, and even saying that was technically a breach.

The comics are obviously a different "division", but still part of the same empire. And look above Marvel, and we have the stinking Rat. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney had written it into the contracts that any overt criticism of the way they run things mean they'd be cut off.
The little bits of info that have been emerging make it clear that it is indeed Disney rather than Marvel who have called the shots here, both with the original dispute and now with cutting ties.

I think you're probably right on the NDA's and there will be rules about individual contracts that mean people are free to comment on their own contract, but not the contracts of others.

Still, there are potential ways around that, in terms of making a "broad statement" about fairness etc. that is clearly supportive but doesn't actually reference the specific situation. On balance I do think some of the bigger names could be doing more. The "individual franchise holders" like RDJ/Hemsworth/Evans, certainly. I'd also have included Tom Holland in that but him being mainly under Sony and the weird, complicated relationship between Disney/Sony with the Spider-man franchise probably makes it literally impossible for him to comment on something like this without causing billions of dollars worth of damage .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote