View Single Post
Old 26-09-2021, 08:36 AM #43
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Tbh, I wouldn't expect good acting from this show.

It’s a Karate-based (fantasy karate at that) soap opera, it’s not going for gritty realism so hammy/over the top acting is sort of the point and half the fun .

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
But that's her entire presence and nothing else; disapproval and snobbishness. Some vibe of love should bleed through but there really is no chemistry. =/ It's like; what attracted them to each other in the first place.

It was better in the third season and I think the idea is that this is a side of him she hasn’t seen that much of before… his old teenage rivalry resurfacing… and is caused them some genuine marital issues. Though in “show terms” I think she was initially supposed to just function as a grounding element to point out that the whole “warring karate clans” thing, when you actually stop for a second, is ludicrous. They only really started rounding out the character at all in S3.

In fact, I’d say their female characters in general only started becoming more three-dimensional in S3. Which perhaps coincidentally coincides with its move from YouTube to Netflix.

I’m still flabbergasted by the shows 8.6 IMDb rating honestly. I mean, I absolutely loved it, binged the first 3 series faster than I’ve gotten through a show in years, but as I said above it is essentially a soap opera with a relatively low budget and 8.6 is a massive rating for a TV series. Stranger Things (basically one of Netflix’ flagship shows) is 8.7 . Most shows “like this” (half decent ones) would fall around the 7.5 range.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote