Thread: Smoking
View Single Post
Old 28-09-2021, 04:51 AM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Smoked socially from age 15 - 23. Wouldn't touch 'em now.

My "peak" was first year University when I probably got through a pack of 20 in a week, but that would be over the course of 3 nights out. Other than that I doubt I ever smoked more than 10 a week.

We used to frequent a proper "old man pub" as 16 year olds and we'd sit at a regular corner table absolutely hammering back pints and chain smoking (this was pre-ban). In hindsight we must have looked ****ing ridiculous? A bunch of wee boys at the pub! Honestly it's not even THAT long ago (20 years) and I can't fathom how we got away with it. The staff knew fine well what age we were. Two of the barmaids were about 19 and remembered us from school!
Most people who smoke regularly get through 20 in a day so stretching a pack out over a week is pretty tame still.

I imagine the reason you got away with the public smoking and drinking is because 20 years ago no one had to screen the ID of everyone who happened to look on the better side of 20. I used to get away with buying tobacco and WKD when I was around that age and that’s purely because back then this useless challenge 25 policy we have now wasn’t actively enforced. And the people behind the counter never seemed to give one so long as you looked at least the best part of school-leaving age.

I feel like they should’ve left things closer to that state of affairs. No one past the age of 21 is going to carry a spare passport around whenever they go to the shops wanting a four-pack or a can of Red Bull. This challenge 25 nonsense has 50-year-olds getting carded and refused and it’s just a waste of everyone’s time.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.

Last edited by Redway; 28-09-2021 at 04:59 AM.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote