Thread: Gay marriage
View Single Post
Old 19-10-2021, 04:04 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
There's no point forcing the issue with churches that would be doing it "because they have to" - and why would anyone even want to be married under those circumstances? That said, in my benevolent dictatorial utopia, I'd just Thanos-snap organised religion out of the equation entirely. Spiritualism/philosophical theology I have no real issue with but the actual dogmatic organised institutions ... ? Nah, that can go.
A lot of gay people (you’d see what I mean if you’d been a bit more exposed to people from different cultural backgrounds) still want to marry at their respective religious institutions for familial (or, again, cultural) reasons. That’s something I can sympathise with but I can also at least empathise with the church/mosque figures who refuse to marry them off.

I think your opinions about spirituality and how deeply-rooted it can be as far as familial works go (including marriage) is very Western-oriented so I don’t blame you for adopting that kind of approach. But know that your experiences aren’t the same as that of a lesbian Nigerian-Brit. who faces ostracisation from her community (more than you’d ever know) but is still brave enough to stand up for what she wants anyway. Or a gay Muslim lad who’d face deportation and rank abuse for coming out but still has respect for his religion. Those are things you can’t even begin to appreciate when you’re sat behind your screen presenting a holier-than-thou stance and obviously don’t have much real experience dealing with conflicted LGBT millennials from non-Western indigenous cultures.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.

Last edited by Redway; 19-10-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote