View Single Post
Old 15-11-2021, 12:55 PM #27
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
A lovely bit of patronisation, thank you.

Doesn't change the fact that Trans rights are LGBT rights and that if you oppose one of those letters, you oppose them all. You simply don't have gay rights in the west without Stonewall, you don't have gay rights without trans rights. It is intertwined.
This is dated rhetoric; you can't shut down this debate by calling people patronising or telling them that they have no place in it any more, it's not 2017. You can debate the topic on the facts and on it's merits and on hard evidence of what is actually best practice with good outcomes or ... I guess you're free to soap-box but it's not part of the debate is it. Not worth listening to.

No one is opposing trans rights, people are opposing the idea that academic discussion and a committment to evidence-based best practice is akin to oppossing rights. I know there are people who would like to claim that any discussion = opposition. Those people are either disingenuous or simply lack a basic understanding of academic discourse, or an understanding that policy needs to be informed by said academic discourse (and not "I feel..." statements) to be worth the paper it's written on. None of that is anyone's problem other than their own.

The sentiment that "if you have concerns about one you have concerns about all" is simply a flat-out false narrative; it simply has to be, because there are plenty of gay people (especially gay women) who have MASSIVE concerns that they would like to have addressed, and I have seen many of these women attacked and harrassed horrendously. This "one is all" line is little more than the same dogma everyone has heard many times over. Women have concerns. Lesbian women have concerns. Those concerns can't continue to be swept away (mostly by gay men, in a sad irony of complex privilege) under a banner heading of "any concern = transphobia". It's a ****ing lie.

Quote:
Also thank you Mr Straight cis-man for trying to declare a bunch of trans people as fetishists. I'm sure you know better than actual transpeople about how they feel.
I'll ignore the banal ad-hominem and ask if you're claiming that autogynephilic fetishism doesn't exist, because I didn't suggest for a second that this is the root of transexuality or that it's anything other than a small fringe group. They are in the minority but to suggest they don't exist is objectively false and everyone either knows it or is wearing blinkers because there have been a number of high-profile examples, as well as many dedicated forums and subreddits. It's also true that that small fringe group USES the "stonewalling" of the trans rights debate as a shield against something entirely different and I can think of no feasible reason that genuine trans people wouldn't be more angry about that than they are about the people who have concerns about it. But you're right, they're free to feel how they feel about whatever they want to feel anything about.

As are we all.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 15-11-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote