View Single Post
Old 26-11-2021, 09:27 AM #19
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Also, very tired of anything gay = SEXUALISED AND INNAPROPRIATE.

It is essentially homophobia.
Not that I'm saying that this doesn't happen, again I don't think that's really the case here, the advert does objectively sexualize Santa ... there's a clear implication in the final scene that they're beginning a physically intimate relationship, and there's a clear effort throughout to present Santa "differently from usual" (as a more humanised version who someone might be physically interested in and who might share that interest - he would usually be presented as a largely asexual entity) - but that's sort of the point isn't it? I wouldn't think any differently if the love interest was female. I personally don't think it's inappropriate either because of the following;

1) the implications are subtle enough that young children aren't going to think "Oh yeah, Santa's going to have sex!" or at least you would hope not .

2) Adults who *can* read the "tension" they're clearly going for shouldn't have any problem with an intimate relationship between two men, and if they do, that's their own problem.

I guess I see it in the same vein as the "adult in-jokes" that are in a lot of kids films... they're not inappropriate, because they're designed to only be understandable to adults.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote