Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Yeah I liked the Dad's performance too.

Last night I started watching From which stars Michael from Lost.

And I've got to say as someone that can be really brutal about TV Shows (Live Action and Animated) this has actually been a decent Show 4 episodes in.

Michael from Lost and the weird guy that's basically the John Locke of the programme are my favourite characters so far, the mystery is actually interesting rather than wafer thin like some of the similar Shows that I've watched on Netflix recently.

And From might have one of the best theme tunes that I've heard in awhile with their cover of Que Sera, Sera.

To be a bit more balanced though, I'd say that the pacing is a bit slow in certain scenes, and I personally don't like the family drama very much, but thankfully it's not shoved down your throat too much so far if you're bothered about them like myself.
After finishing the first Season of From I would definitely recommend it to people that like their Mystery Shows, it's not perfect but it has some decent characters, a decent mystery and if you're looking for a bit of personal Drama for the characters then you have that as well (although personally speaking that wasn't my favourite part) but it is there for people that do like it.

Also I'd say episode 7 has to be one of the most fun and intense episodes that I've seen from a Live Action American Shows in years, because as well made as some Shows have been in recent years, they do sometimes lack that little bit of excitement imo that makes me want to come back and watch more, where as I'll gladly come back for From Season 2 even if the family Drama could sometimes be annoying to me, because ultimately the rest of the Show was actually interesting.

Also on an Anime front I have had a bit of lull after watching Devil May Cry & Kingdom as they were really good Animes imo, in different ways too.

But I finally landed two hits for myself.

I'm not gonna be very good at describing either Show, but here it goes.

Saga Of Tanya The Evil - Tbh I was really unsure about this Anime going into it because it was an Isekai (which can be an up and down genre for me) and I was concerned that it was gonna be a try hard in all of the wrong ways. However I was gladly wrong, it was a really fun series, Tanya in particular actually being a much better character than I ever expected her to be, the supporting characters were fun to watch as well, and yes the plot is clearly unrealistic and bonkers, but it actually suits the tone of the Anime really well.

Again it was nice to see an Anime series that was fun to watch, and coming from an unexpected source.

However just to warn people if you don't like Reincarnation, Isekai, Action, Political, or Shows lead by Loli's (thankfully this one wasn't sexualized thank god) then this Anime won't be for you.

I can't express enough how entertaining this series was for me though, I actually can't contain my excitement for the series, a 7.97/10 on MAL is shameful imo, it needs to be higher.

And then the next Anime that surprisingly won me over was Vivy - Again I was nervous about the weird mix of Sci-Fi, Action & Music as it's three main genres, in particular the Music part was the real jarring part for me to get around at first, but tbf the series is really well made for the most part, Vivy & Matsumoto have a really strong dynamic, it's one of the Shows strongest selling points imo along with an interesting world, Animation, fight scenes & some really strong background Music in the episodes imo.

For me it weren't as exciting as Saga Of Tanya The Evil (but tbf they're totally different Shows so I'm being harsh comparing them) but Wit Studio did an exceptional job on this series imo on a technical level, especially considering it wasn't based on any source material and therefore had to come up with the idea themselves, it was an impressive effort, especially considering Vinland Saga was a huge disappointment from that Studio imo, Vivy has given me some confidence in them again.

But basically think of Vivy as a weird blend of AOT with the Action scenes, Steins:Gate, Ergo Proxy with the AI concept and certain themes that happen in both Shows, and bizarrely IdolMaster.

If you like any of those series that I've mentioned then you have a chance of liking Vivy, if you don't like any of them then you're gonna hate Vivy.

Apologies for the review being so long, but it's so nice to talk about certain Shows in a positive light again, because I was wondering if I was being too harsh at one point.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote