View Single Post
Old 27-06-2022, 12:50 PM #45

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

For anyone interested in a balanced, even - handed but sympathetic account, The Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown, is considered the most accurate bio of Diana ever written. It reveals Diana as a much more complex and fascinating character than many supposed her to be.

{Ten years after Diana's death came the definitive biography of her, informed by 250 interviews from some of those who knew her best. Tina Brown, the former Tatler and Vanity Fair editor, writes the book with her signature wit and attention to style. The Diana Chronicles is a delight to read, infused with Brown's deep understanding of both how the royal family and the media in the U.K. work, and how they coexist.}

This extract, relevant to the topic, which I also posted upthread, comes from her book.

Quote:
At the end of Diana's life, she and Charles were on the best terms they'd been for a very long time. Charles got into the habit of dropping in on her at Kensington Palace and they would have tea and a sort of rueful exchange. They even had some laughs together.
It was definitely calming down, the boys were older. They talked about their philanthropies. And she had accepted Camilla [Parker Bowles]. One thing she had finally done was really understand that Camilla was the love of his life, and there was just nothing she could do about it.

But she said to me at that lunch that she would go back to Charles in a heartbeat if he wanted her."
Diana told her friend Julia Samuels "Charles is the kindest man I have ever known".
It’s a good idea to have it at hand for reference after watching ‘The Crown's’ heavily overly - dramatised depictions of Diana/Charles - just for balance and perspective, if you want to look deeper, that is!
jet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote