View Single Post
Old 30-06-2022, 11:54 AM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Assuming we all know what sexual and domestic violence is, and we all know what they mean by the climate change part - increase in natural disasters such as wildfires, flooding, extreme weather events such as hurricanes and tornadoes (although I can’t say I know how prone Australia is to those).

The link between the two is that when a natural disaster occurs there’s a resulting civil chaos for a while; emergency services swamped and unavailable,friends, family and neighbours distracted by dealing with the immediate problems - and that leaves women who are already vulnerable to violence more at risk of abuse and violence from opportunistic people using the confusion and chaos as cover. HORRIFICALLY, rapes and sexual assaults against displaced people in things like emergency accommodations/shelters is not uncommon.

In terms of domestic abuse, it’s just a general statistical fact that people in domestic violence situations are more at risk in times of high stress and uncertainty… that’s when a violent partner is most likely to get physical or controlling.
This is basically what I was trying to say, but you have articulated it better.

And it relates more so to aboriginals because they are even more discriminated against
ThomasC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote