Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
No.

Having a quota of one of every race having to be cast in most products, regardless of if they're good enough or not is cringy.

I personally would rather a story for example not have a single white character in a Film if it means that the product is better.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that this remake is necessarily gonna be bad either, in fact I'm a bit more lucky than the fans of the original Film as I've never watched it, so for me The Little Mermaid Remake could be my entry point into the franchise.
Quotas are pretty stupid, and it is indeed rather cringe when (say) High Society in Renaissance-to-Victorian times has an improbable number of black people, which goes unremarked upon and apparently unnoticed. Obviously there weren't zero, but a film depicting zero cropping up in the narrative would be more realistic than multiple.

But anachronisms happen, and it would be hypocritical to actually get "outraged" over that but overlook medieval homes having full sized transparent glass windows. I've never really given much of a shit about that sort of thing. Like it stands out and it's obvious why the filmmakers do it (and sometimes, it's because they gave the best audition - fancy that!) but I'd rather the thing exist than not.

I think the Rings of Power should have been set in Harad (Middle Earth's Africa), and had a majority of the original characters be black.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote