View Single Post
Old 22-09-2022, 10:57 PM #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I always thought the royals were treated harshly by the public over Diana. None of us know what went on behind the scenes.

Diana dying was a tragedy that should never have happened and the public response to it was basically a collective version of the five stages of grief.

People were lashing out in anger in the week that followed, trying to make sense of it. I don't think there was ever any real threat to the monarchy.

Royal silence
Anger mounts at the silence of the royal family, who are still holed up in the Scottish Highlands.

Newspapers vent fury that the British flag is not flying at half-mast over Buckingham Palace and call on Queen Elizabeth to return to London and address her subjects.

The papers ask: “Where is our Queen? Where is our flag?”.

It says not flying the flag is a “stark insult to Diana’s memory”.

The palace’s flagpole is only used when the monarch is in residence, flying the sovereign’s personal flag, which never flies at half-mast.

Eventually, the royals leave the sanctuary of Balmoral.

When the queen and Philip later visit the flowers outside Buckingham Palace, they are applauded. There is huge relief in royal circles.

Elizabeth pays homage to her former daughter-in-law in a live televised speech on September 5.

“If they (the royals) fail to heed her lesson, they will bury not just Diana on Saturday — but their future too,”

The Guardian broadsheet warns, as nearly a QUARTER of Britons call for the ABOLITION of the monarchy in a poll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote