BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
Is there documentation of this supposed ‘quota’ or are you just repeating all of these white replacement theories you’ve probably seen online?
Amazon Studios says:
Quote:
To reduce invisibility in entertainment, and where the story allows, we aim to include one character from each of the following categories for speaking roles of any size, and at minimum 50% of the total of these should be women: (1) lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or gender non-conforming / non-binary; (2) person with a disability; and (3) three regionally underrepresented racial/ethnic/cultural groups (e.g. in the US, three of the following: Black, Latinx, Indigenous, Middle Eastern/North African, or Asian / Pacific Islander or Multi-Racial). A single character can fulfill one or more of these identities.

Most productions have a multitude of speaking roles, from leads to smaller roles. Where it doesn’t compromise the authenticity of the story, the minimum aspirational goals for casting across speaking roles are 30% white men, 30% white women and non-binary people, 20% men from underrepresented races and ethnicities, 20% women and non-binary people from underrepresented races and ethnicities.

Most productions have a multitude of speaking roles, from leads to smaller roles. Where it doesn’t compromise the authenticity of the story, the minimum aspirational goals for casting across speaking roles are 30% white men, 30% white women and non-binary people, 20% men from underrepresented races and ethnicities, 20% women and non-binary people from underrepresented races and ethnicities.
Though to their credit they allow exceptions if the verisimilitude of the historical or sociological context demands it.

ABC Studios (Disney) has some policies:
Quote:
Standard A - Onscreen Representation
A1 Characters: 50% or more of regular and recurring written characters come from Underrepresented Groups

•A2 Actors: 50% or more of regular and recurring actors come from Underrepresented Groups

•A3 Secondary Characters: Meaningful inclusion of Underrepresented Groups as secondary or more minor on-screen
individuals, including background actors

Standard B - Creative Leadership
•B1 50% or more of producer & above on writing staff and 50% or more of Co-Producer & below on writing staff come from

Underrepresented Groups

•B2 50% or more of episodic directors come from Underrepresented Groups

•B3 Casting Director is from an Underrepresented Group or has not previously worked on a DGE show in this role

•B4 Meaningful representation of Underrepresented Groups in senior creative leadership

•B5 Promotion of a member of an Underrepresented Group into a role that constitutes career progression for at least one
member of the writing staff
•B6 Substantial year-over-year increase in members of Underrepresented Groups as directors and in writing staff
(Comes from a pdf linked under "Content") The website is region-locked, so I had to link it through a USA proxy.

The BBC has specific strategies too:
Quote:
Using predictive analysis we have determined our new diversity goals and commitments, announced by our new Director-General in September 2020.

In his introductory speech to colleagues, Tim Davie committed to creating an
organisation which reflects more accurately the society we serve. That means
a gender balance at the BBC, at least 20% Black, Asian and minority ethnic
staff, and building from at least 12% disabled staff towards reflecting the UK
population. In addition we will deliver 50:20:12 plans to build our socio-economic
diversity, as well as ensuring we are truly inclusive for all LGBTQ+ employees.
That wasn't a copypasta, I found all the info in about five minutes total by googling.

Whether or not implementing such quotas and strategies is a good, bad, or indifferent thing is another discussion (tbh I'd say indifferent) but to write their existence off as paranoid delusions is demonstrably false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I have heard that tbf.

I hope to feel differently though.
It's not really the stories that are boring, it's more the characters and pacing. Long form storytelling has its place, but the problem here is in the execution, which sometimes sounds quite appealing there's just episodes and episodes where noooothiiing happens. The first five episodes could be told in two or three without feeling rushed, y'know?

The characters are also a problem. They're nearly all boring or unlikeable. The best bits are with Elrond, Durin, and Disa. I wish it was just them three having Eleven and Dwarven adventures.

But that's my opinion. It's mirrored elsewhere in both senses of the word so, eye of the beholder and all that!

Last edited by Oliver_W; 24-09-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote