View Single Post
Old 29-01-2002, 03:31 PM #3

I don't think either BB or PI have become more boring, but I have been thinking for a while now that PI has taken on board some of the things that made BB the phenomonon it was. This interests me because Nigel Lithgo is Executive Producer, as he was on Survivor. During Survivor he went on about how boring BB was by comparison. I think he's learnt his lesson because

1. Public voting. A bit obvious and not unique to PI, but having a double show with a build up to a live announcement with friends and families waiting for someone to leave is familiar.

2. Continuing the coverage live on ITV2 and mid-week updates is very BB. Throughout Saturday evening when tensions are highest, the contestants are under constant scrutiny while they wait for their fate to be sealed.

3. The program is obviously collaborating with the tabloids and gossip mags such as heat. They're controlling a steady stream of gossip friendly anecdotes.

4. They're all living in the same house

5. The tabloids are getting nasty and rivalries are developing between fans.

6. Dec loves hugging the contestants as much as Davina

7. Evicted, oops, I meant eliminated contestants are doing a tour of tv and radio shows and newspaper deals.

8. Whatever they say, the producers are playing up to possible conflict. Arguements between judges are (probably) encouraged. Nigel's public ticking off of Simon and Pete was a farce.

9. Ant and Dec chat to their mums, who talk about how proud they are.

10. When you get evicted they do a montage of your finest moments with you looking nostalgic in a box in the corner.

11. Those close-ups of Gareth crying at Zoe leaving were very reminiscent of Helen after Paul left. Fantastic emotional tv, but not strictly necessary for a talent contest.

I'm sure I'd thought of some other reasons, but that's quite enough for now.
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote