View Single Post
Old 19-08-2009, 05:12 PM #41

Quote:
Originally posted by alphabetgreen
Before I go into this discussion, I just want to say that I have always abhorred racism and homophobia, and would never promote such hostility.

However, I'm pretty sure that ethnic minorities in Britain total under less than 10% of the population, much less. And the ratio of straight people to LBGs is even lower.

But how come out of 22 housemates, just 4 people (including Isaac and Tom who were hardly there) were white straight boys, and another 4 people (including Saffia who was hardly there) were straight white girls.

Now, it matters ****** all to me this year because I didn't apply and it's been a pretty good show so far, but I think that if I had failed to get on this year, I would have been a bit miffed.
Let's put some of this in perspective. There are no definitive figures as to the rate of GLBT's in British society. The figure could be as high as 30%. I also question what is "straight". Many of my "one off's" have been alledgedly straight men, who have invariably contacted me again.

I am a Gay man, which accounts for say 1 in 10 of the male population. I may be a Gay man but I am not defined by that. So in fact my Gender accounts for just under 50% of the population. I am literate, which counts for aprox 96% of the population, I own my own home, which accounts for aprox 40% of the population. I have a job, which accounts for aprox 30% of the population.

Do you see what I'm getting at, my sexuality is only 1 aspect of me, so on that basis who I want to go to bed with is not how I am defined.

Homophobia is not just about disrespecting those whose sexuality is different, it's about being against inclusivness, which I have to say, is pretty much what I'm getting from your post.

If you are truly not homophobic, then why do you feel motivated to write as you have done? I'm not writing this to attack you, just to try and motivate you to think over what homophobia really is about.
calyman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote