View Single Post
Old 26-02-2010, 02:50 PM #3
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-atheists.html

Dawkins is getting tough on his forum.

"The prominent atheist faced a torrent of abuse from outraged fans after he announced that all further postings to the discussion forum on his website would be tightly moderated to ward off what he called “something rotten” in internet culture. "

“Thousands of loyal, intelligent, rational forum members have been misrepresented as a bunch of foul-mouthed, vitriolic thugs by the man who so inspired them.”

Is money making Dawkins right to censor who he thinks are wrong-uns?
Why the use of the term money making, obviously you disagree with some of his opinions, but why throw in that denigratory term. Is it to try and undermine his opinions in your and other peoples minds?

He explains "Imagine seeing your face described by an anonymous poster as a ‘slack-jawed turd-in-the-mouth mug,” in a blog

Dawkins had also been described as "a suppurating rat’s rectum inside a dead skunk", he said. Another user had expressed "a sudden urge to ram a fistful of nails" down his throat

Is it wrong to want to remove comments like these and if the offender is persistent ban them from the forums?

Obviously not, its fine to express an opinion even slightly ridicule a person however comments like those have no place on most forums do they?

The comment about thousands of loyal, intelligent fans comes from a former moderator on the site, wonder what axes if any he has to grind with Dawkins

Or do you think its fine that the atheist is insulted in this way? Loved the comment at the end "Christian groups have seized on the row as evidence that the Dawkins community is not as free-thinking as it makes out. " So they allow comments like those above on their websites?

In the end its quite simple if you dont like the way a site is run, dont use it.

Last edited by Shasown; 26-02-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: my fingers wont spell things they way they are meant to be spelled.
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote