View Single Post
Old 30-08-2010, 09:26 AM #2081
Banned

Banned

Inception.

You have to hand it to Nolan: compared to the usual summer blockbusters that we have to suffer this is out on it's own in terms of creativity, ambition and style. That is doesn't fall apart under it's own silliness - I mean come on, it's pretty daft when you think about it - is really down to the directors ability to create a dynamic and absorbing storyline, with the narrative holding ones interest to the extent where I accepted his reality and suspended my disbelief, even in the face of such staggeringly crazy visuals and plot contrivances.

It's be no means perfect, and I think the general themes in the movie have been far better explored in other works such as Synecdoche New York (a masterpiece by the way), but there's no other mainstream director with this kinda cash at his disposal who would even dare attempt to get a film such as this made. That he has been given this licence from his backers is a real blessing and makes him one of the most important filmmakers of the last few years. I'm just a bit saddened that it adhered to the usual popcorn, thrill ride formula, particularly towards the end, but sure if you want to play with the big money and get your films watched it has to be done. Still though, a challenging and refreshing change to the usual crap we get at this time of year.

Oh, and Tom Hardy is a star in the making.

Last edited by setanta; 31-08-2010 at 07:51 PM.