View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 06:06 PM #5

He's fighting for the gold medal on Wednesday.

Quote:
Lowestoft boxer Anthony Ogogo is remaining bullish after sealing a place in the middleweight gold medal match at the Commonwealth Games.

Ogogo, 21, defeated Indian Vijender Singh in controversial fashion, scoring all his points through penalties.

He told BBC Sport: "I saw my back hand scored at least four or five times. They weren't registering obviously.

"But I'm through to the final, I couldn't care less if 3,000 Indians are calling me a cheat."

Pre-competition favourite Singh, 24, went into the final round of the semi-final bout leading 3-0, but surrendered four points when he was penalised for holding on two separate occasions.

The Englishman defended for the remainder of the round to seal a 4-3 victory, to the frustration of many in the Delhi crowd.

"If he wasn't holding and roughing me up inside then I would have won even more comfortably," he added.

"He tried to nullify my strengths and at the end of the day that's illegal. You can't put your head down, you can't hold.

"I wanted to box, he didn't want to box, I'm through to the final and I'm going to bring a gold medal back to England hopefully."

Ogogo, who trains at the Triple A Club in Lowestoft, will face Northern Ireland's Eamonn O'Kane in Wednesday's middleweight gold medal fight.
Video - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/comm...10/9083817.stm
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote