View Single Post
Old 14-12-2010, 09:23 PM #9
Lemon Twerper

Lemon Twerper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElProximo View Post
It is a strange thing.
I have no doubt there are a 100 would-be singers who were (at least) on the right direction towards some contracts, full-time work, success and had to think long and hard whether they would risk it all by joining x-factor, bgt, american idol etc etc.

For people like Matt (who was known about before X-Factor) there is also a risk in NOT taking the opportunity. Sure, it may look like he is 'on his way' but 2 years later he might be kicking himself when nothing really comes of the promises.

But maybe these talent shows.. rather the public perception/acceptance has been changing and you really can carry on without (as we say) being 'saddled' with this 'talent show contestant' weight.
In the last few years a number of 'American Idol' contestants (not winners) have carried on to some great careers.
Not riding the 'American Idol runner-up' post-season arrangements but they have gone on to become independent 'superstars' in their own rights.
Most even forgetting their American Idol starts.

I was also trying to think of some legendary acts from olde day versions. Abba has to come to mind. Even way back then - people quickly forgot they were a contest winner. Was it called 'Eurovision'?
Basically it was 'Pop Idol' of its day.

Someone else told me Cliff Richards was, originally, known for being a 'Pop Idol' winner?

Anyways, Matt is someone who definitely can carry on 'independent' or 'not reliant' on this X-Factor title.
Interesting read.