View Single Post
Old 24-01-2011, 11:26 AM #3314

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger tips Cesc Fabregas to be future captain of Spain
Gunners boss praises his 'absolutely fantastic' skipper

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has praised Cesc Fabregas' leadership skills, stating his belief that the 23-year-old will one day captain his country.

Wenger's comments come after Denilson last week suggested that his midfield partner wasn't a leader, but following a superb performance against Wigan at the Emirates on Saturday, the Gunners boss, who gave the Spaniard the armband when he was only 20, has hailed his captain.

He told the club's official website: "His character. [He is] strong, strong mentally. And his intelligence.

"He understands very quickly and he has a huge desire to win. He is ready to die to win. When a guy turns up at 16 or 17 and everybody gives him the ball, he has some natural charisma. I believe he will be an outstanding leader and he will lead the national team in Spain without any problem.

"At 16, he was shy. I do not believe in being a born leader but you can see that the qualities are there or someone can develop into a leader. You learn that. Overall, one of the leaderships he has is on the football pitch - that strengthens your belief he can lead the team.

"What people forget he is 23 years old. I have been 23. What he does on the football pitch at that age, as a leader, is absolutely fantastic."