Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
It is Illegal to have sex at 13, by consent or not. Also, I couldn't give too ****s what other cultures find acceptable or not, I've been a 13 year old girl and I know I wouldn't have been mature enough or emotionally ready for a sex life at that age. And I can tell you, as a mother to a daughter who is almost 12, and is no where near physically or emotionally ready for sexual relationships, that If I thought she was, she would be going no where other than school for a very long time.
Sorry...but this is quite an extreme reaction to what is supposed to be a civilised debate. I understand it's a sensitive issue as you're a mother, but please, how am I supposed to discuss an issue with someone who refuses to comprehend opposing ideas? I don't mean that in a bad way Niamh, but it's difficult if I make a point and someone responds with 'I couldn't give a ****'.

Anyway, you see the problem is everyone matures at different ages, whilst you and others may not have been physically or mentally mature at the age of 13, many others are. It's an individual thing, not a collective. And that's where the problem lies, because why should someone who is physically mature enough and has well-rounded knowledge of the subject, has put thought into it, and has waited until they themselves are ready, be denied the choice to have sex purely on the basis that society deems them 'too young', when of course as with everything, those beliefs are instilled in everybody's mind. You aren't born that way.

What if she was physically and mentally mature enough for it though? What if she had been educated about the potential consequences of her actions, how she should wait for the right moment, use protection...you know, all of the usual stuff and more, then what would your belief be? If she lost it to someone she had known for many years and perhaps been in a relationship for some length of time? There's varying degrees of possibilities, everyone is different and every situation is different.

Don't forget as well, one of the biggest problems with denying people the choice to do things is that it consequently makes them want to do it more. It's a bit like when you see a 'do not touch - wet paint' sign, you want to touch it, it's because you've been told you can't. Such restrictions can have negative effects on some people. Prevention, protection and exclusion can often make people more interested, curious and susceptible to things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid* View Post
apart from the very obvious fact that it is illegal to have sex under the age of 16 in this country.
But that doesn't mean it should be, not everybody agrees...some think it should be older, some think it should be lower. And the age of consent varies across the world. It's not set in stone, it's open to discussion. As I said the whole concept of 'childhood' is something that's socially constructed. Various laws and rules give off certain ideas as to what a 'child' actually is, but that varies from country to country.

Quote:
Let's see how you feel when you are out working, are a tax payer and your hard earned taxes are going towards feeding, housing, clothing, educating bastard children of very young teen mothers.
But again you've missed the point that I made - I quite clearly stated that I believe the sex education is something that is needed more in schools, regardless of my whole stance on this particular subject actually. It's needed regardless, because whether parents like it or not...underage sex happens. And it could happen to anyone.

Quote:
That aside: many are NOT physically mature enough: biologically or mentally to cope - that isn't determined until baby arrives.

Who looks after the baby due a schoolgirl mother then? Dumped on the parents, who will pay for food, clothing, etc? The mother? after all Jack, according to you, it's her choice. How does she pay for the upkeep of said child if she falls pregnant - which many often do.
This is a fair point, but I'm of the opinion that if you have a child (especially underage), you provide for it. In cases like these whilst the teen mother might not be able to financially provide at the time, when they start receiving an income a system could be implemented whereby they are required to pay back any money that was provided to them by their parents, unless of course their parents agree to financially provide anyway. Again, it's another choice that should be made by the individual. If you wish to bring a child into the world at such a young age, you are responsible for it, as of course you were responsible for getting pregnant in the first place.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote