View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 01:07 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Seriously... you don't think that's worrying? If my brother or someone close to me wanted to cut off their leg I'd be beside myself with worry about them. I'm all for stepping out of line as far as normality is concerned, but that just seems weird. It'd be like blinding yourself.
I agree that it is worrying, but i also accept that i can't understand certain things. And i think when people are willing to do it anyway, without a doctor, and not in a safe way, they should have an alternative and be able to to do in a safe environment. I think there should be a pathway for them, and have the same kind of guidance that transexuals have, where they are forced to go through certain counceling, and live that way for a year before the surgery, there are lots of ways to help these people instead of just shutting them out. i think it would be better to reach out to these people and offer them hope instead of just writing them off as crazy.

I think our bodies are very important, and a HUGE part of our identity is in our physical bodies. I think it's not okay to just say "it's all in your mind" even thought we live in a world where physical appearancee is VERY important. We let people break their noses in nose jobs every day, i've seen the surgery it's very violent. BUt because we think they are going for what looks beautifult o us, we donm't have a problem with it. Stuffing your tits with plastic is routine now.

You're physical appearance affects everything, your self confidence, your employment opportunities, your ability to find a partner. We can't pretend that physical appearance is not important to people. But we can't only allow people to do extreme body modification if it's something that fits into pop culture.

Was Michael Jackson's plastic surgery any more grotesque than Pamela Anderson's surgery? i don't think so.

Last edited by lostalex; 04-10-2012 at 01:16 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote