View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 AM #2

Default Will driverless cars mean computer crashes?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ne/9755210.stm

Quote:
Google co-founder Sergey Brin believes that "self-driving cars will be far safer than human-driven cars" but who trusts them enough to drive in them or even alongside them?

Drivers will not need a driving licence by 2040.

At least that is what the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers believes. It thinks autonomous cars capable of driving to any destination are set to become the norm.

With an estimated 90% of current car accidents thought to be caused by human error, taking people out of the equation is seen by many car companies as a massive boost to safety.

But most qualified drivers do not seem to think they would be the ones in trouble.

"Most drivers think they are better than average drivers," says psychologist Dr Graham Hole, of the University of Sussex, who has published work on the psychology of driving.

"People typically have a very inflated view of their own abilities as far as driving is concerned."
So true - I have no doubt that I will see at least THREE near misses due to driver error today just driving locally and even more than that tomorrow when I drive along one of Britain's "killer" roads.
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote