View Single Post
Old 22-05-2013, 05:09 PM #47

Commander Simon Letchford, from the Metropolitan Police, speaking in Woolwich tonight said:

"I am here to give you an update about the incident that has unfolded here in Woolwich this afternoon and to give you further details of the situation and an outline of the facts as we understand them at this time.

"This is at a very early stage and as such I will provide you with what information I am able to.

"At approximately 14.20 we were called to reports of an assault in John Wilson Street, Woolwich where one man was being assaulted by two other men. A number of weapons were reportedly being used in the attack, and this included reports of a firearm.

"Officers including local Greenwich officers arrived at the scene and shortly after firearms officers arrived on the scene.

"On their arrival at the scene they found a man, who was later pronounced dead. At this early stage I am unable to provide any further information about the man who has died.

"Two men, who we believe from early reports to have been carrying weapons, were shot by police. They were taken to separate London hospitals, they are receiving treatment for their injuries.

"I can understand that this incident will cause community concerns, and I would like to reiterate that we are investigating what has taken place today.

"The MPS will investigate the circumstances that led to a man to lose his life and the IPCC, as is routine, will investigate the circumstances in which police discharged their weapons.

"There will continue to be an increased police presence in this area, and the surrounding areas this evening. That presence will continue as long as is needed.

"I am asking people to remain calm, and avoid unnecessary speculation. I will update you again as soon as I am in a position to do so."

Last edited by Mrluvaluva; 22-05-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Mrluvaluva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote