View Single Post
Old 18-01-2007, 12:12 PM #1

Default \"Goody not Racist\"- Says Spokesperson

Big Brother Row: 'Goody's Not A Racist'
Thursday January 18, 01:00 PM

Jade Goody's spokeswoman has insisted the Celebrity Big Brother contestant's behaviour is not racist after another blazing row on the show. Complaints have now reached 30,000, including 3,000 to channel 4, after accusations that an Indian actress Shilpa Shetty was suffering bigoted abuse.
During last night's episode, Goody launched a foul-mouthed tirade against the Bollywood star.

But Jade's spokeswoman said: "I have not heard Jade say anything that could be interpreted as a racist

Advertisement

remark.
"I am not denying the fact that it appears Jade dislikes Shilpa, but I don't believe her race is the reason."

Complaints have flooded in since Jade Goody, her mother Jackiey Budden and boyfriend Jack Tweed; model Danielle Lloyd and former S Club singer Jo O'Meara allegedly began bullying the 31-year-old Indian star.

Goody had told the actress: "You need a day in the slums. (Swearing) go in your community and go to all those people who look up to you and be real. You (swearing) fake."

Lloyd later said Shetty should "(Swearing) off home", adding: "She can't even speak English properly."

After the argument, an upset Shilpa complained for the first time that she was the victim of racist bullying.

Channel 4 continues to insist there has been "no overt racial abuse or racist behaviour" on the show.

Meanwhile, the broadcaster is enjoying a large jump in viewing figures, with 5.7 million people watching it last night - it slumped to 2.7 million on January 13.

Chancellor Gordon Brown insisted Britain and India are not divided over the race row, after protesters in the sub continent burned effigies of the show's organisers.

He said: "India and Britain are bound by shared values that support fairness and tolerance. We are against any form of racism or intolerance."
Leona is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote