View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 11:07 PM #1

Lightbulb Lord Rennard quizzed by police over harassment

Nick Clegg Should Have Ordered Inquiry Into Lord Rennard Allegations

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...?utm_hp_ref=uk

Quote:
Nick Clegg should have ordered a formal inquiry into allegations of sexual harassment against former Liberal Democrat chief executive Lord Rennard, the author of an independent report into the party's handling of the complaints said.

Helena Morrissey also singled out Lib Dem ministers Jo Swinson and Danny Alexander for adopting an informal approach to the allegations which was "ultimately not sufficient".

Businesswoman Ms Morrissey said: "I think mistakes were definitely made. They were made by Nick Clegg, Danny Alexander and Jo Swinson.

"I think you can make a mistake and learn from them, it's different from setting out to mislead or to do something wrong."

Four women made allegations against Lord Rennard, but Ms Morrissey said her review also uncovered wider examples of "low level sexism" and a "reluctance to investigate" within the party.

Scotland Yard is investigating allegations against the peer and an internal Lib Dem investigation has been put on hold pending the outcome of the police inquiry.

Responding to questions about Mr Clegg's role, Ms Morrissey said: "I think that he did make a mistake by not asking for a formal investigation.

"But I understand as well why he was under the impression it was being dealt with the way the women wanted."

There was "little evidence to suggest a conscious attempt to cover up problems", Ms Morrissey's report found.

"Instead, there has been a tendency for the party to try to 'handle' complaints rather than to fully and properly investigate them in a timely, professional manner," the report said.

"Individuals appear to have been generally acting in good faith but without realising the importance of adhering to process or being aware of the processes in place.

"While this may appear a benign mistake, it has caused problems to fester unresolved, to the detriment of all involved."
Lib Dems: allegations of sexual impropriety

http://www.channel4.com/news/lib-dem...al-impropriety

Lib-Dems - another bunch of self-interested incompetents condoning, in effect, the abuse of the powerless by those in power .....

Last edited by Omah; 16-06-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote