View Single Post
Old 17-06-2013, 09:20 AM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I think that gays can take a gay joke much further than a hetero can. In the same way, I feel only Jews can joke about the Holocaust and only black people can use the N word. You've got to be grown up about stuff and think about your words. If people care going to claim the right of free speech, they have to understand that with rights come responsibilities.
well gays and disabled people have just as much right to joke about the holocaust since they were just as much victims as the jews were... but I agree with the sentiment of your post.

A rapist making a rape joke is not the same as a rape victim making a rape joke. Even if the joke is word for word exactly the same. It's just not the same.

I could not go up on a stage and do a chris rock stand up routine word for word as a white man. It's just not the same. It's hard to explain exactly why it's different, if it's the exact same words, but it is not the same.

It's kind of like photographs. the context that a photo is taken is important. You can see a beautiful picture of a sunset, there are millions of them out there. BUt a photograph of a sunset taken by some random stranger just trying to take a nice photograph is not the same as a photograph of a sunset taken by your grandfather the day before he died.

They just mean different things, even if they seem the same, look the same, they are still just different. It's the context.

Last edited by lostalex; 17-06-2013 at 09:26 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote