View Single Post
Old 15-07-2013, 09:55 AM #43
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGoth View Post
He has been a massive character in all of the past seasons. It's tough to know if it'll continue, I guess a lot of peoples jobs are tied up in the show and I believe they're meant to start filming in a couple of weeks, although someone mentioned in another place how it might be near impossible for the cast to perform comedy so soon after such a personal loss.

The show is commissioned for two more seasons (5&6). So maybe they'll do a tribute show for Cory, with them all being themselves rather than playing their usual characters. After that they could move on with the show.
I mean how does a television show come back from something like this? Aside from the personal tragedy that they will all be feeling, and his loved ones will be reeling from this for a long time, how does the show deal with this sensitively? Do they get someone to take over the role, or is the actor more important than the role? There are some cases where you can use a new actor and the change is convincing (e.g. Nick Tilsley in Coronation Street) but with a show like Glee, I think it would be impossible... so how do they explain his disappearance within the context of the show? Obviously everyone watching will know that Cory Monteith sadly passed away, but they can't just omit the character with no explanation, there will have been storylines built upon the character and no doubt future storylines planned too. I don't even know how hard it'll be for his girlfriend to not only cope with losing him but also having to continue acting and singing on the show that brought them together and no longer be playing his opposite number. I've only ever seen snippets of the show and while it's not for me, I am very interested to see where it goes from here...

You just don't account for this kind of thing happening. I think it might stop the show from continuing, you know, I think of similar situations like when Lisa Lopes was unexpectedly killed in a car crash and suddenly TLC were TC. How does a project that revolves around the people who star in it go on without an integral part of it when unexpected circumstances appear? I hate when shows do things like "oh they've gone away for a bit" and then obviously they never return. Emmerdale did that with an elderly character (Seth iirc), the actor passed away and instead of dealing with it within the context of the writing, they just said he'd gone away to Australia (?! without his wife of x number of decades?!) and never came back. Bizarre.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote