View Single Post
Old 25-08-2013, 02:03 PM #96

Favourites:
BB14: Gina

Favourites:
BB14: Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalHermit View Post
She may have had a 'boob job' because she was suffering confidence issues. It strikes me as female jealousy to be honest, all this.
That bit is a cop out. A way of utterly dismissing any cultural concern a woman might feel over the plastification of womanhood.

That said, I agree with the rest of your point.

The reason I posted that wiki stuff was because it is important to have balance in these things. We can all question the age gap and the motives of these two people but since none of us know either of them we cannot reach conclusions.

In many, possibly most, unions between an exceptionally young woman and a much older man there may be an element of conscious or unconscious exploitation. But that doesn't mean always and in every case.

Most of what I talk about in here relates to cultural and societal norms and trends. But we as individual humans relate to each other in a multiplicity of ways. Our decisions are multi-layered, sometimes entirely contradictory. We are capable of being many things at once and seeing the world in many ways at once. trying to pin individuals down within a cultural context is useful at one level, but at another level it also removes the human from that equation.

As a woman I find much of what I see in Courtney troubling. And the idea of a 16 year old girl marrying a 51 year old man worrying for a number of reasons. But let's not fall into total assumption here about who these two people are. Otherwise we risk robbing this girl of her agency in our own minds.

Last edited by DanaC; 25-08-2013 at 02:08 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote