BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
That would be my concern, just take a look at Tory "pledges" from before the last election. Not to mention the lib dems :/.

However, in this case, going back on the promise would enrage a chunk of their core support. Whereas the Tories made policies designed to sway traditional Labour voters and then said "oops sorry there's no money so we're going back on everything we promised" - but still delivered to their core Tory supporters. Mostly.

Promising to reverse bedroom tax and then not doing so would all but guarantee a single term for the next lab govt., it would be a stupid political move, so they won't do it.

plus the bedroom tax is ineffective and economically worthless, the money taken from people is spending money, it comes straight OUT of potential consumer sales, I.e. half of it goes to the govt coffers anyway in VAT and corporate taxes where they're not being dodged. utterly retarded policy. So theres no real financial implication in reversing it. the purpose of the bedroom tax is not to save money... it's a political chess move, part of a tactic that is (thankfully) starting to backfire on Mr Osbourne.
I completely agree with what you say above. This is a policy that should never have been brought in at all and for me full shame on the Lib Dems for ever supporting the policy.
I have yet to meet a Lib Dem councillor who even thinks this should have been supported by his MP colleagues in Parliament.

The Conservatives have not listened at all to all of the criticism and warnings as to this policy and have been given plenty time to scrap it yet chosen not to do so.

As you say, Labour would be crazy to promise to reverse it and then not do so, just about all the Labour party think it should be scrapped and I would hope fair minded voters who also see this as a totally rotten and very badly planned policy.
I really hope Labour does win the election now and that this gets reversed along with other heartless measures brought in by this heartless Govt against those weakest in society do get reversed or compassonately amended at least.
No way will Labour not reverse this if they win, I feel 100% sure of that now.

Alao watch the hypocrisy of the Lib Dems if their votes were needed,(hopefully they won't be), that if Labour do win, where they then support reversing the bedroom charge too.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote