View Single Post
Old 25-09-2013, 08:49 AM #8
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post

"Q. How would energy firms react if Labour went ahead?

A. With anger. They might ramp prices up before any freeze came into effect. Some might even threaten to quit Britain altogether. "

sunonline+
And this would be a reason to cave? Our governments should start giving in to corporate bullying (more than they already do behind the scenes)?

I struggle with the question of energy... On the one hand, prices are getting to be unsustainable for many people... 4 years ago my energy bill was around £70 a month, its now £110 a month without any significant change in usage. coal and gas power stations are not sustainable and the prices will just rise until it runs out altogether.

On the other hand, we're not making enough progress with renewable energy sources for it to be a realistic prospect for our energy needs - and then you have nuclear. Official statistics say the risk of meltdown is "1 in 10,000 years" ... And yet there have been two world-altering meltdowns in the last 50 years. the effect of the fukushima meltdown is being massively covered up and underplayed - it's still spewing radioactive material into the pacific, theres another reactor core still posing a massive threat, and much more radiation hit the western coast of the US than has ever been reported by the mainstream media. Remember that it took 10 to 20 years for the full extent of Chernobyl to see the light of day. Work on Chernobyl is still endlessly ongoing, also, some 30 years later, to keep it fully contained.

Basically I think nuclear energy is potentially very scary ****. Most people have this idea that "the scientists", "the engineers", "the people in power" actually know what they're doing and have a grip on it but there's plenty of evidence - some very recent - that we're little more than children playing with matches.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote