View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 10:57 PM #91

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall View Post
I know. But walk into any clothing store and you can't buy a dress for a man, right? That's what I'm getting at. It's clothing completely encoded throughout society is something that's female, even though it's just a piece of cloth with one hole instead of two. That assumption that society (or, western society rather) makes of it being women's clothing is something entirely superfluous when you think about it really.

My point is that gender is social construct. Something determined by human thought and ideas. Sex is obviously something biological, but gender? Nope, that's much more complex.
You can buy a dress, there doesn't need to be dresses for men. Yes stores are targeted to specific genders but it doesn't mean that the opposite gender can't buy anything from it. Most of the population have no problem with the types of clothing available to them. It's a minority. I understand that some people may want to wear something that is not of their gender and I think that's fine.

It doesn't matter. If you have a form to fill out and it asks you for your sex, there are two options (or three if you include third gender).

EDIT: I know gender is a social construct, I studied sociology.

Last edited by Firewire; 04-04-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Firewire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote