View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 10:21 AM #88

I believe any one of us with an ounce of compassion will feel distressed by the recent news about the abattoir in Thirsk, not because its about Halal slaughter but because they employ bored psychopaths in the killing rooms.

There is enough good documentation which proves, stunning an animal before death deems it unconscious and therefore unaware of the events that follow. If not stunned, then a dead bolt through the head is instant and painless. I've stood with a few horses that had to be shot and although its distressing for us because it appears to be such a violent end, its quick, its clean and the horse was totally unaware of what was coming.

The slitting of a throat is painful, slow and terrifying and for that reason we wouldn't allow a vet to do this to our pet dogs, cats or horses. Whilst I have to accept that both halal and kosher slaughter will go on, I would rather it was done here in Britain under strict guidelines than shipped out on the hoof for slaughter in third world countries.