View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 03:53 PM #24
You know my methods

You know my methods

Limerick-based Augustinian priest Fr Iggy O’Donovan

A Catholic priest has called for a Yes vote in the marriage equality referendum in May on the grounds of “respect for the freedom of others who differ from us”. Limerick-based Augustinian priest Fr Iggy O’Donovan, writing in today’s Irish Times, recalls the gospel passage where Jesus “tells us to give to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s”.

When people vote, “we are giving to Caesar what is Caesar’s which is the gays. In a democracy, Caesar is the people”. Churches, he says, “have views, ideals and laws about the family, and they quite properly teach their members about those views. . . But when we become legislators, as we do when we vote in referendums, we legislate as citizens for all our fellow citizens and frankly if it means we get a mardi gras in Limerick then I am all for that”

"look I know the Bible is pretty hard on the gays but what with attendances down we are looking to get just about anyone behind a pew and if that means the gays then I am all for that!

He says: “It is possible to have deep and passionately-held convictions without seeking to have those convictions imposed by the State on fellow citizens who do not share them”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/socia...ndum-1.2132636

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote