BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjuniper View Post
I remember the time before Britain became part of the EU and we never had a problem with trade in those days.
Also having borders was a big help in fighting drugs, illegal immigration etc.,
I do believe that we should have a referendum. Why is it that the government (all parties) are so reluctant to have one?
In Denmark, where I now live, the people were asked to vote to be part of the EU. There was a resounding NO, so the Danish government kept having a vote untiul they got the right /wrong in my view, answer.
I like the thought of Britain being an independant nation once more. Making our own decisions and just being responsible for ourselves.
However if a referendum was held and the majority did want to be in the EU I would have to accept it.
For me personally I think Britain being ruled by fat cat pen pushers in Brussels is the worst idea possible.
The EU or common market then was very small in relation to how it has progressed today,from before we joined.

However,a worthy fact of that tiems, iof we were doing so well as you say, why then did the UK under both Conservative and Labour govt;s deperately try and apply to become part of it.
From Harold Mcmillan right through to Edward heath.
With Edward Heath, the then Conservative PM in the early70s,who negotiated terms of entry to Europe and then took the UK into Europe too.

Never holding a referendum if the UK wanted to go in, just doing it.

If we were doing that well, why would we want to change and join, because we knew it would likely grow into a masisve trading block and to not be part of it wold be a disaster,even in the 70s and 80s,up top the present.

The UK did then eventually get asked if we should be in or out, in 1975 by Harold Wilson's Labour govt;
In fact Labour is the only party to ever hold any referendum on Europe, the Conservatives as I said, even took us in,in the first place, nevr asking the UK citizens at all.

So I cannot see any point, after all that time and all the funding we have given to and had back from the EU,plus that we have been a member for so long now,to even think of leaving now with all the massive uncertianty and bad feeling that would likely create for the UK.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote