View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 11:10 AM #77
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Ah it's ok you saying that now your uni education is over, it's those who either had free or very low debt that begrudge anyone else been given a hand up it seems which is quite sad.
Is it another example of 'I'm alright jack?' I have my degree and my decent job so screw you...
Anyone from a low income family can expect to leave uni with a degree and a debt of £51,000 now.
Indeed, it's a hell of a lot of money to be paying back even for a graduate who gets a good job. Even if they commit to paying back £3000 a year it's going to take them until they're at least in their mid 40's.

And that, of course, is if we're in bizarro-land where every graduate has above average earnings or even any sort of graduate career at all. Many will simply have that debt sitting gathering interest forever, or be paying it at a low rate every single month until they retire.

The alternative being to create a drone workforce "race to the bottom" society where only a few privileged people bother with higher education at all.

I just hope that tuition remains free in Scotland for at least another 15 to 20 years, I would be utterly horrified to see my kids saddled with that sort of debt.

My own student debt is depressing enough, still sat at around £12000 and chipping at my payslip every month. I can't imagine being saddled with four times that, or more.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote