View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 02:01 PM #54
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Nope...

In the main varieties of English from outside North America, the past participle of get in all its senses is usually got. Gotten appears occasionally, and it is standard in a few set phrases such as ill-gotten gains, but the shorter form prevails by a large margin.

That gotten is primarily used in North America has given rise to the mistaken belief that it is American in origin and hence new and inferior. But gotten is in fact an old form, predating the United States and Canada by several centuries. It fell out of favor in British English by the 18th century

http://grammarist.com/usage/got-gotten/

I have never suggested that no Muslim has ever committed a terrorist act, once again it was the inference in some posts that I objected to.

No amount of Googling, cutting and pasting will make "gotten" acceptable in modern British English, Kizzy. It was once acceptable but not for about two hundred years... like you yourself posted! We used to use a Z in words like colonize and dramatize... but it's not acceptable now. But hey, if you think it's okay to use an outdated term, you crack on.

I don't understand why you were addressing your inference from other posts to my replies though. Strange... because I don't feel I said anything at all anti-muslim.

Last edited by Livia; 03-11-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote