View Single Post
Old 23-12-2015, 09:50 AM #14
-

-

We (horribly) get needles found in the toilets fairly regularly, usually behind toilets or dumped in the cistern, I've advised other staff not to even think about trying to dispose of them but I know at least two that have picked them out themselves. Madness. I was once asked by out maintenance people on the phone when I phoned to report needles found, "can you not just put on rubber gloves and fish them out?". I politely told them where to go. Useless lazy ****ers. They specifically have a team for dealing with hazardous waste.

I think things have slightly. Improved in terms of risk in recent years because of needle exchanges, usually when we find needles we also find empty plastic packs that say "bloodsafe" or something on them, so the needles WERE clean before that one use - however, of course, you still have no idea what that one person might have.

HIV is thankfully not a very infectious virus (believe it or not) and the risk of infection from (non-anal) sex and even needle jabs (so long as the plunger isn't pushed) are relatively low. It's much higher obviously with needle sharing as they are actively injecting whatever fluid is in the needle into their bloodstream - and there may well be traces of infected blood inside the syringe. When it's just the metal needle itself piercing the skin, you have a much lower chance of any infected fluid actually leaving the syringe.

Still, it must be a terrifying experience DR. I also know if I was you, I would be incredibly angry that people - even drugged off their face - are willing to be so careless. I hope all is well and that the time passes quickly for you, as the waiting game must be a nightmare.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote