View Single Post
Old 18-01-2016, 07:35 AM #9
-

-

I agree that open-door immigration is impossible, anyone who thinks that a world with no borders can work in the 21st century I can only imagine has little to zero concept of just how that would look.

See it's not that I don't think a world like that COULD look better... It's just that we'd need an epic plague first, to knock the global population back to a more reasonable level. Ideally fewer than 0.5 billion humans.

With 7 to 8 billion of us trying to share one little planet, you simply have to accept that some (most) are not going to have a particularly comfortable existence... It's not feasible.

You don't have to LIKE it of course, and that's where I struggle philosophically, and to understand the way so many talk about it. With anger directed AT the people trying to find a better life for themselves. Of course they're going to do that! We all would. We all do, even. They don't owe us anything and, to me, it's perfectly reasonable for them to want a "slice of the pie" for themselves and their families. Which is why I feel empathy for these people. We can't let them all in... But it IS crappy and it IS unfair that we can't.

I guess look at it like the titanic going down. There weren't enough boats. That's the simple maths of it... If they'd let everyone into a boat, they would all have been sunk under the weight, and everyone would have drowned or froze. So, about 1/3 of the people got into the boats, and the rest died. It's not just, right, or fair... It's horrifying... And if you, me or anyone else was one of those people in the water, we'd be desperately trying to get into one of the boats, and not really caring about the risk of pulling it down with us.

And whose fault is it really?

The people in the water? The people in the lifeboats?

NOPE. It's the people who built and controlled the ship that sank.

So you can accept the numbers, you can say that it's just not possible for everyone to be saved, because it's true that it isn't. It would be foolish to try and we'd all go down too. But don't be angry at THEM for trying to save themselves... For not simply lying down and accepting their fate for our benefit. Be sorry that we can't help everyone - and blame the ****ers who built the damn ship.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 18-01-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote