View Single Post
Old 31-01-2016, 10:09 AM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post

I mean yes, you can usually figure out quite quickly what someone is vaguely about, but I can actually think of multiple occasions where I've known someone a while and then been slapped in the face with some nasty racist / homophobic crap that I'd never have guessed would come from them. I'd rather just know up front than have people hide it because they "have to". It's not real acceptance. The prejudice still exists... It's just silent and often then becomes even more insidious.
Me and the other half were talking about this last night. We'd gone out for a drink with a bunch of friends, one of which is quite new to our group. We have all invested time in this person but last night after one too many he became racially abusive. None of us were aware that he had this underlying grudge against certain races and religions and it was disappointing to discover we didn't want to be around what was otherwise a fun guy. Up until now he'd walked on eggshells weighing us up and now, if we spend any more time with him, we have to walk on eggshells not to bring any topic up that will have him going off on one.

I'd rather know than not know about a person like that.