View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 03:42 PM #70
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
The point is that it is no one else's place other than one's own to define their sexuality. You (as in collectively, not you, Z) do not 'know' anything, you are just assuming. And more to the point, even if all of that is the case, it does not take away from the fact that some people do not wish to categorise their sexuality - nor, most of the time, is there any need to - and the media's insistence on point blank ignoring someone's wishes of disliking categorisation only fuels this outdated belief that sexuality has to be placed into certain check boxes, you are either this or that, a ridiculously stupid binary. It must stop.
I feel what you're saying contradicts itself though, we live in a "heteronormative" society where, unless you're very blatantly homosexual, people will assume you're not until told otherwise, or they might suspect you are but not ask out of politeness. It is therefore up to the individual to directly or indirectly place themselves in a box so people can define them. How do you propose we live in a society where people don't assume your sexuality without LGBT people being more open about their sexuality in the first place? If it's a case of 'act like it's no big deal' then great, it's no big deal, but that doesn't improve the average heterosexual person's understanding of what LGBT is if they're not able to identify people who identify LGBT.

What I do 'know', is that naked pictures purporting to be of George were leaked online; the evidence matches up with who they were sent to and George following that person on social media; and George's subsequent vague video message addressing people's questions about his sexuality. I adamantly believe his video message was worded in a way that wouldn't harm his public image and worded in a way that will allow him to milk this minor news story down the line when his career's at a total stand still; Union J are clearly dead and the guys are trying to spin careers out of the ashes. I don't really have time for gender/sexual politics but I respect that it's something you speak passionately about. I believe he's lying to save face because he was only put in this position because of leaked pictures and he would have continued to live a lie for who knows how much longer if this hadn't have happened. I think it's a good thing. Even in a band with an openly gay member, he still wasn't able to/didn't feel comfortable coming out. There's a video of them discussing sexuality below and George is actively pigeonholing himself into 'straight' territory and pretending not to know words and so on... I remember watching it and thinking he was trying too hard to play to being straight, I've always suspected he's gay.

Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote