View Single Post
Old 17-02-2016, 08:01 AM #15
-

-

Fair warning, I'm going to raise something a bit controversial here, and just to preface it I personally am definitely NOT saying we "shouldn't cure cancer". However, for those who do get themselves tied in knots over deficits and debts...

If you think we have a pensions crisis right now, consider a world without cancer. I know that sounds awful, I really do, cancer is a horrendous disease and it takes so many young, healthy people too... but, it is right up there with the biggest "natural causes" deaths of the elderly. In a world without cancer, average life expectancy will take an absolutely massive jump upwards. Retirement age will probably end up being 75+ (or, most likely, NEVER without medical reasons, the elderly who can't work will be classed as disabled).

Ergh I know I sound really terrible.... but I do think it's a double-edged sword in certain ways. Taking emotion entirely out of the equation - it's simply not practical nor feasible for everyone to live into their 90's and beyond.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote