View Single Post
Old 18-02-2016, 08:31 AM #5
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Gold bow ties? There's a definite association there, and the knotted tops too probably. I guess I just don't understand... why? As in, they don't enhance their gymnastic abilities, and one would suppose even get in the way a bit over say a leotard as would be worn in "normal" gymnastics, so why have them? Or... were these added specifically for the show to generate controversy? You have to wonder.

The actual "dancing" / using the pole in general, has absolutely nothing inherently sexual about it. It uses a lot of core muscles and looks like great exercise. In that sense, the "sexualised" aspect is entirely in the eye of the beholder / associations with stripping... if you take it out of that context, it's no different from any other apparatus-based gymnastics.
..I think yeah, probably a bit of 'show-wear' because they were featuring on TV..obviously it is fitness but it's also dance fitness as well, so with that specifically (and type of dance fitness..)...if a performance is put on for guests/parents etc, the clothing could be slightly more 'glitzy' if you like, but still appropriate...whereas if it was gymnastics, then a leotard would be the thing...dance does attract children to fitness in things like after school clubs...(especially girls - ooops..)...and so a great form of exercise for some, who may not do much exercise in their lives, other than at school and it's been the dance aspect that has specifically attracted...

..and I agree about the actual dancing using core muscles and being a great form of exercise...anything and any form of dance can be sexualised if that's how it's portrayed, but this isn't portrayed in any way as that...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote